January 6, 2022
Subject: COVID-19 Test Distribution
Dear OVSD Families:
We’d like to provide you with an update on the free COVID-19 rapid antigen tests that the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) is allocating for K-12 students. Unfortunately, the Orange County Department of Education received a very limited supply of rapid tests from CDPH and school districts in Orange County will not receive quantities to cover their entire student populations in this first distribution. While this is disappointing news, we will distribute the tests that we have received thus far. Ocean View is committed to providing tests to all families. We are working to acquire additional tests from a variety of sources and hope to receive additional rapid test kits from the CDPH in the near future.
COVID-19 Test Distribution:
Friday, January 7th
All School Sites 3:00 - 4:00 pm
While supplies last!
All tests must be picked up by an adult and will not be distributed directly to students.
COVID-19 Rapid Test (Results within 30 minutes)
The recommended use of a rapid antigen test is for the following:
- A student is completing an at home quarantine and needs a negative test on or after day 5 to return to school, in lieu of a 10 day quarantine.
- A student who has tested positive, is isolating at home and needs a negative test on or after day 5 to return to school, in lieu of a 10 day isolation.
Each student will only receive one kit, with two tests. We urge families to use the tests in the circumstances described above to allow students to remain in school.
COVID-19 PCR Test (Results within 48 hours)
If you are not in need of a rapid test, we can provide a PCR test for your student. The recommended use of the PCR test is for the following:
- Initial identification of COVID-19 for a student with symptoms.
- Students needing to test while completing an in school quarantine.
As a reminder, we follow the Orange County Health Care Agency’s COVID-19 Orders and Recommendations, which can be found here. Please continue to monitor your child for any COVID-19 symptoms and keep them home if they are exhibiting any symptoms. We appreciate your support in helping us provide a safe environment in our schools.
Dr. Carol Hansen, Superintendent
Gina Clayton-Tarvin, President, Board of Trustees
General Coronavirus Information
The novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, is a respiratory virus. Reported illnesses have ranged from mild to severe, including illness resulting in death. Older people and people with certain underlying health conditions like heart disease, lung disease and diabetes, for example, seem to be at greater risk of serious illness.
How can I help protect myself?
The CDC recommends these proven steps to help stop the spread of respiratory illnesses:
- Get vaccinated.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Use a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing. Throw used tissues in the trash immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Test Your Student Fact Sheet - English
- Test Your Student Fact Sheet - Spanish
- Test Your Student Fact Sheet - Vietnamese
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer English
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer Spanish
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer Vietnamese
- Orange County Department of Education (OCDE) Newsroom
- Orange County Health Care Agency
- FAQ about Coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus
- California Department of Public Health
- Visit Your Pediatrician!
- Ocean View School District Community Resources
- Create a Family Plan
- Alternate Caregiver Form for Child
- Medical Consent Form for Child