Superintendent's Welcome Message
Dear OVSD Parents,
I would like to take this opportunity to officially welcome all of our students and families to the 2020-21 school year! While the beginning of this year will look different from school openings in the past, I am confident that each one of the Education Programs we are offering will provide a positive and meaningful learning experience for our students. As your Superintendent, I am committed to ensuring meaningful stakeholder engagement, innovative options for families, and a laser-like focus on student achievement.
While we have all struggled with the upheaval that COVID-19 has caused for many months, I find myself feeling a strong sense of gratitude as well. I am grateful for our conscientious Board of Trustees, our supportive community, and our collaborative employee associations. We have been able to successfully navigate these challenging times by working together in the best interest of children and never losing focus of our motto -- Achievement and Relationships Matter!
In fact, we have several new projects and programs to celebrate this year:
- Opening of the Ocean View Virtual Academy. This is a fully on-line school taught by credentialed OVSD teachers. Please visit our website at ovsd.org for more information.
- Opening of the Spanish Dual Language Immersion Program. Students will learn to think, speak, read, and write fluently in both English and Spanish. They will become bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural. Please visit our website at ovsd.org for more information.
- Modernized College View Elementary reopens. The school has been beautifully transformed! Some of the improvements include new security features, renovated classrooms, an updated front office, a new bus drop-off area, an expanded library, new interior hallways, gorgeous wall murals, a new HVAC system and more.
- Marine View Middle School modernization underway. The enhancements will include the library/media center being relocated and reimagined inside the center of the building, a new wood shop and art room in the former library location, a new kitchen and lunch shelter, new outdoor physical fitness circuit equipment behind the gym, exterior updating, and new landscaping.
- Newly installed security fencing at Oak View, Oak View Preschool, Mesa View, Spring View, Star View, Vista View, and Village View. This fall, all campuses in OVSD will be fully enclosed.
There have been a lot of changes in how we operate schools and deliver instruction, but our commitment to our core values of innovation, integrity, and equity remains steadfast and continues to guide us. In addition, we remain committed to providing outstanding customer service to our families. If you have any questions about this school year or your child’s education, please don’t hesitate to contact your child’s school or the District Office at 714-847-2551. We are eager to answer your questions or provide any assistance you may need.
Thank you for trusting us with your child’s education. I’m looking forward to a memorable and successful year for our students and families.
Dr. Carol Hansen, Superintendent