June 18, 2021
Dear OVSD Parents,
We wish to inform you that after reviewing recent updated mask recommendations, Ocean View School District will not require students or families to wear masks at the outdoor 5th and 8th grade promotion ceremonies. Please note that all attendees have the option to wear a mask at these events, if they so choose.
As a reminder, during normal school hours, students and staff must continue to wear masks while engaging in all school activities both inside and outdoors, through the last day of school on June 24. This is in accordance with guidelines set forth by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and the OVSD Board of Trustees. The CDPH and Cal/OSHA have indicated that we will be able to operate with potential new guidelines in the 2021-22 school year. Once we receive updated CDPH guidance for schools, which we anticipate will be in the next few weeks, we will review for potential updates to our OVSD protocols for both summer school and the 2021-22 school year.
Thank you for your continued support. We are looking forward to a positive and celebratory last week of school!
Dr. Carol Hansen, Superintendent
Patricia Singer, President, Board of Trustees
General Coronavirus Information
The novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, is a respiratory virus that was first identified in Wuhan City, China. It has since spread throughout the world. Reported illnesses have ranged from mild to severe, including illness resulting in death. Older people and people with certain underlying health conditions like heart disease, lung disease and diabetes, for example, seem to be at greater risk of serious illness.
How can I help protect myself?
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. However, the CDC recommends these proven steps to help stop the spread of respiratory illnesses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Use a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing. Throw used tissues in the trash immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- COVID-19 Student Symptom Decision Tree
- COVID-19 Student Symptom Decision Tree Spanish
- COVID-19 Student Symptom Decision Tree Vietnamese
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer English
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer Spanish
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer Vietnamese
- Orange County Department of Education (OCDE) Newsroom
- Orange County Health Care Agency
- FAQ about Coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus
- California Department of Public Health
- Visit Your Pediatrician!
- Ocean View School District Community Resources
- Create a Family Plan
- Alternate Caregiver Form for Child
- Medical Consent Form for Child