January 14, 2021
Re: Temporary Distance Learning Extended Through January 29
Dear OVSD Parents,
The Board of Trustees held a special Board Meeting last night to assess the latest COVID-19 data and how it impacts OVSD. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 rates in our nation, state, and especially our region, continue to rise. Orange County’s COVID-19 case rates and positivity percentages have dramatically increased in the past two weeks and our Southern California Region continues to operate at 0% ICU capacity.
Therefore, the Board of Trustees has extended Temporary Distance Learning for all general education Transitional Kindergarten (TK) through 8th grade classes through January 29, to allow additional time for the COVID-19 surge to subside.
An increasing number of staff and students have tested positive for COVID-19, or have been exposed to those with COVID-19. OVSD is experiencing a high number of employee absences due to staff needing to quarantine as a result of exposure to COVID-19. In addition, under the current conditions, 61% of our employees surveyed reported that they are not comfortable returning to in-person hybrid instruction on January 19.
- In some circumstances, special education Special Day Classes (SDC) may need to transition to Temporary Distance Learning. These decisions will be made on a class by class basis. If a class must transition, families will be notified by the Special Education Department.
- To the extent possible, Kids’ Club and Preschool programs will remain open in order to support frontline and essential workers. If programs must be closed or consolidated, families will be notified by the Child Development Programs Department.
- The Temporary Distance Learning schedule is being revised for 1st – 8th The hours 1st-8th grade students will be required to attend virtually will be closely aligned to the current in-person hybrid schedule. You will receive details from your school principal or classroom teacher.
OVSD is looking forward to the next phase in the COVID-19 Vaccination Distribution Plan - Phase 1B - which includes the Education Sector. Phase 1B vaccines are scheduled to begin being administered in February for educators and childcare workers.
Please continue to wear a mask, avoid gatherings, social distance, and wash your hands frequently. Together, we can bring the COVID-19 numbers down in our community. Thank you for your patience and partnership as we continue to meet this challenge together.
Dr. Carol Hansen, Superintendent
Patricia Singer, President, Board of Trustees
General Coronavirus Information
The novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, is a respiratory virus that was first identified in Wuhan City, China. It has since spread throughout the world. Reported illnesses have ranged from mild to severe, including illness resulting in death. Older people and people with certain underlying health conditions like heart disease, lung disease and diabetes, for example, seem to be at greater risk of serious illness.
How can I help protect myself?
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. However, the CDC recommends these proven steps to help stop the spread of respiratory illnesses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Use a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing. Throw used tissues in the trash immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- COVID-19 Student Symptom Decision Tree
- COVID-19 Student Symptom Decision Tree Spanish
- COVID-19 Student Symptom Decision Tree Vietnamese
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer English
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer Spanish
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer Vietnamese
- Orange County Department of Education (OCDE) Newsroom
- Orange County Health Care Agency
- FAQ about Coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus
- California Department of Public Health
- Visit Your Pediatrician!
- Ocean View School District Community Resources
- Create a Family Plan
- Alternate Caregiver Form for Child
- Medical Consent Form for Child