Huntington Beach Safe Schools Coalition
The Ocean View School District is a trained member of the Huntington Beach Safe Schools Coalition, which is comprised of local public school districts and schools, private schools and the Huntington Beach Police Department. The Safe Schools Coalition was created to respond to a critical school incident that requires a school evacuation to an offsite location, such as an armed intruder. In the event any of our schools experience a critical incident and must evacuate students offsite, staff from our neighboring schools and school districts, along with police and city employees (members of the Safe Schools Coalition), will activate an evacuation plan, so parents/guardians/authorized persons and their children can be reunified as quickly as possible.
PARENT/GUARDIAN/AUTHORIZED PERSON* INFORMATION: SCHOOL EVACUATION PROCEDURES
The Huntington Beach Police Department (HBPD) has developed a comprehensive school evacuation plan, which will be used in the event of a critical school incident that requires an evacuation. Police, school and city personnel have been trained and are prepared to implement the plan, which is designed to protect and keep our students safe.
In order to maintain student safety during the evacuation process, our schools will rely on parent/guardian/authorized person cooperation.
The following instructions are provided, so parents/guardians/authorized persons will have an overview of the plan and understand the procedures for reuniting with a child after a school evacuation.
- In the event of a critical school incident that requires a school evacuation, designated locations have already been established to determine where students will be evacuated and where parents/guardians/authorized persons will come to pick up their chidren.
- Our students will be evacuated to the Huntington Beach Central Library (7811 Talbert Ave, Huntington Beach, CA 92647), and our parents/guardians/authorized persons will pick up their children at the adjacent Huntington Beach Sports Complex (18100 Goldenwest St, Huntington Beach, CA 92647).
- Notification of the school evacuation will be announced through school and District communication systems and through other media sources.
- PARENTS/GUARDIANS/AUTHORIZED PERSONS: DO NOT GO TO THE SCHOOL as this will decrease safety, slowdown the evacuation process, and result in delays in family reunification.
- Parents/Guardians/Authorized Persons should go to the Huntington Beach Sports Complex and look for a yellow school bus, which will be parked in the northwest corner of the sports complex parking lot. The bus will be used as a landmark to identify the Parent/Guardian/Authorized Persons Check-In Area, which is where you will fill out a check-in form for each child they want to pick up.
- After parents/guardians/authorized persons fill out a check-in form, they will be asked to wait in the Student Release Area, which is located at the Turf Soccer Fields at the sports complex. BRING YOUR ID WITH YOU.
When children are ready to be released, they will be escorted by school personnel from the library to the Student Release Area, where children will be released to the parent/guardian/authorized person.
We greatly appreciate your cooperation during a critical school incident and offsite evacuation. We believe this will ensure everyone's safety and the quick reunification of families and children. Our District is dedicated to keeping all students and staff safe, and this is one more way we are prepared to do just that.
*An authorized person is someone who is authorized by a parent/guardian to pick up a student on the student's emergency card on file with the school.