Board Recommendations on School Consolidation - Letter June 22, 2017
Dear Ocean View School District Families, Staff and Community Members,
Over the past several months, I have shared with you that the Ocean View School District was in the process of making critical decisions about Measure R Bond modernization projects and fiscal efficiency. Specifically, I shared with you that we were exploring options for school consolidation, Measure R Bond modernization at our schools, and interim school housing during construction. We formed two School Consolidation Task Forces to allow for engagement, information sharing, and concerns to be addressed.
I wish to continue to keep you informed about the important decisions we make with the help of our Board, administration, staff, families, community leaders, and students. This week, our Board of Trustees approved recommendations for school consolidation at Sun View Elementary School and the Ocean View Preparatory Preschool/Pleasant View School and the next steps in the Measure R Bond modernization process. At the regular Board meeting on June 13, 2017, our Board approved the following recommendations for District staff to plan and execute:
- Prepare for interim school housing at Sun View and OVPP/Pleasant View, providing a safe and consistent learning environment for students while their home schools are being modernized through Measure R construction projects
- Begin Measure R Bond modernization at College View and Westmont Elementary Schools during the 2018-2019 school year
- Consolidate Sun View and Westmont Elementary Schools into one Westmont Elementary School, beginning in the 2018-2019 school year. Provide safe interim housing on the Sun View campus during the 2018-19 school year, while newly consolidated Westmont is modernized.
- Provide safe interim housing on expansive OVPP/Pleasant View campus, beginning in the 2018-2019 school year, while College View is modernized (add modern portable classrooms and other portable facilities, such as restrooms, to the OVPP/Pleasant View campus to house students)
- Consolidate OVPP/Pleasant View into two OVSD elementary campuses – College View and Westmont – beginning in the 2019-2020 school year (both general and special education pre-school classes will be a part of each of these OVSD schools)
- Address recommendations of Sun View and OVPP/Pleasant View School Consolidation Task Forces, to the extent possible, on topics related to special education students, Kids’ Club afterschool programs, school start times, and transition activities for students, staff and families.
As your Superintendent, I will continue to communicate with all staff, families and community members on our school consolidation and modernization projects. Please check our website regularly for information. We greatly appreciate your input and collaborative efforts as we move ahead.
Carol Hansen, Ed.D.