Sixth Grade Classroom Policies
To maintain a safe, positive, and productive learning environment throughout the year, we request the following:
- Students need to follow and review Vista View’s Binder Reminder Code of Conduct.
- Students are required to bring their Binder Reminder, Student Materials (listed in the sixth-grade parent letter), and a Silent Reading Book every day.
- Students need to save all returned graded work in a home file throughout each trimester.
- Students and parents should be aware of missing assignments by checking the Binder Reminder and the online grading system. Look for a red stamp and teacher comments in the Binder Reminder.
- Cheating is never okay. Students caught cheating will receive an automatic zero and either a detention or referral to the office.
- Consists of work not completed in class as well home assignments or projects.
- Must be turned in and completed on time.
- Homework is to be turned in at the beginning of each period, or it will be considered late.
- Assignments turned into the teacher’s box in the office will be considered late unless the student was absent.
- Homework needs to be written in the Binder Reminder Daily.
- Homework not completed will receive a red stamp in the binder.
- Students who receive two red stamps will be given detention.
LATE WORK/ ABSENCES:
- Absences are a major concern and are probably the number one reason good students experience grade drops. Students who attend school regularly will always have an advantage over those who don’t.
- If students are absent, THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE for asking the teacher what they need to make up. It is not the teacher’s responsibility to inform them.
- Late work (not including absent work) turned in will only receive a maximum score of 60%.
- No credit will be given for late work after two weeks from the original due date unless arrangements have been made with the teacher. This also includes make-up tests.
- Habitual late work may result in a detention or other consequences.
- All tests and quizzes that are missed need to be made up within one week of the original test/quiz date.
- Students with an excused absence will be allowed one day of class for every day of their absence to make up missed work per OVSD Binder Reminder policy.
- During the third trimester, NO LATE WORK will be accepted without an excused absence.
- Certain classroom activities cannot be duplicated and may result in zero credit even in the event of an absence.
- Each student should have the phone numbers of two other students in class so he/she can obtain assignments when absent.
- If a student is absent it is their responsibility to get the assignments they missed.
- Students are expected to follow the classroom rules as well as abide by the Binder Reminder at all times. The consequence procedure is progressive and generally will proceed as follows:
- Verbal Warning
- Nutrition Detention
- After School Detention
- Office Referral
- Major problems and behavior may result in skipping some of the consequence steps.
PROJECTS AND SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS:
- All projects and special assignments will have an instruction sheet. Please go over them with your child and note the requirements and due date to avoid grading penalties.
- Projects are usually worth a great deal of points and may result in a drop in a letter grade if not turned in.
- Some projects will require additional materials or supplies.
- Parents need to sign their students Binder Reminder every night (not just initial).
- The Binder Reminder can serve as a means of communication between you and your child’s teachers.
- Use the online grading system to keep up with your child’s grades, missing assignments, etc.
- Encourage your child to communicate with his/her teacher regarding assignments, grade, absences, etc.
- Encourage your child to work out problems without your help. However, if a situation does not seem to be improving, you can bring it to the teacher’s attention and together work to solve the problem.
- Please email or call your child’s teacher with any concerns!