Math 8 Course Outline
The goal of this class is to prepare students for Algebra 1 in high school. Students will engage in project based learning throughout the school year.
I believe it is the student’s responsibility to:
- Complete all assignments on time. All work must be shown.
- Study and achieve satisfactory quiz and test scores.
- Maintain high quality on daily work.
- Use class time wisely.
- Demonstrate cooperative behavior with fellow students and the teacher.
- Have regular attendance, with required materials.
- Ask questions and seek help when needed.
Textbook: Course 3 Publisher: Big Ideas Math
- Angles and Triangles
- Graphing and Writing Linear Equations
- Systems of Linear Equations
- Real Numbers and the Pythagorean Theorem
- Volumes and Similar Solids
- Data Analysis and Displays
- Exponents and Scientific Notations
A variety of instructional strategies will be used to better reach all students. Emphasis will be given to algebraic computational skills, application skills, project based learning (PBL), and problem solving.
Students are expected to come to class prepared to learn and work. Student binder reminder should be brought to class daily to log all homework assignments. It is also used as a means of teacher/parent communication. In addition, it is recommended that students bring to class:
- 2 spiral bound notebooks (one for each semester- to be used for math notes)
- Daily supply of lined paper or an extra 2 spiral bound notebooks (1 for each semester to be used for homework)
- Pens, including a red pen for correcting homework
- Scientific Calculator
- Colored pencils
- Glue sticks
Late/Absent Work: Late assignments may be completed for less credit and must be submitted before the next chapter test. Exceptions may be made for unusual circumstances, but only after parent/teacher discussion. If a student has an excused absence, they will be given the number of missed days to make up the work. Parents can call the office and request homework to be sent home or check http://portal.ovsd.org/LoginParent . Students need to write “Late” or “Absent” on the assignment and place it in the late or absent folder. Work assigned prior to an absence is due on the day the student returns to class. After an absence, it is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with the teacher for making up missed class assignments and/or tests. Students will receive additional days to complete assignments related to the number of school days missed.
Math Test Retake: If a student does poorly on a chapter/unit test, they may retake a test. Each chapter test retake must be done before the next chapter test. Before retaking the test, the student will be required to do practice work and turn it in. If the practice work is done well (at least 80%), the student then may retake the test. Retake tests will be given either before school or after school as arranged by the student and teacher. The student will be given the higher grade received on the test.
**Students who receive a C, D, or F on the test are highly recommended for a re-take.