What We Do
We handle the deployment, administration, and support of various technologies, devices, network and voice communication infrastructures, and services that enable the District to perform its educational mission and give students an opportunity to engage in a 21st-century learning environment. We have highly-skilled and courteous technicians servicing all 16 of our school sites, support sites, and the District Office, as well as a full-service database analyst supporting our District's Student Information System (SIS), powered by Aeries.
We implement technical elements of and provide support for audio/visual and technology needs in every facet of the District, including special education, the District and school websites, events happening throughout the District, STEM/STEAM programs, nutrition services, and much more. We are proud to provide effective educational technology service to meet the demands of modern learning.
What We've Been Working On
IT has been at the center of the service to our staff, students, and community in moving education forward during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here's just a snapshot of what we're working on for 2020-21:
- full Zoom implementation for all teachers and staff, to safely hold meetings, virtual events, and daily classroom remote instruction
- researching and implementing paperless technologies, including Microsoft 365 student e-mail and collection of parent preferences via Aeries and LimeSurvey
- upgraded backup technologies and continuity protocols in case of network disruption
- secure access to staff files through a web browser
- remote support of teachers and staff while working from home
- readying our databases and login systems to support the new OVSD Virtual Academy
- completing the technology upgrades and modernization of College View and beginning the modernization of Marine View
- moving the preschool programs into their new locations across the District
- producing Zoom meetings/webinars and streaming them to YouTube, including Board of Trustees meetings
- inventorying and preparing the check-in/out of Chromebooks for Mandated Distance Learning
- preparing the network and protocols for the new Bring Your Own Chromebook (BYOC) program
- implementing a new Chromebook classroom management and web filtering tool (Blocksi) for in-person and remote learning
- setting up new educational web apps in preparation for the OVSD Virtual Academy
- imaged, set up, and delivered nearly 400 new laptops to all OVSD teachers
Newer technologies and thousands of devices keep Ocean View's IT department constantly adapting to the needs of our community.