July 29, 2020
Re: Education Program Selection
Dear OVSD Parents,
As I shared in our last communication, our schools in the Ocean View School District will begin with Mandatory Distance Learning until Orange County is removed from the state COVID-19 Monitoring List per Governor Newsom’s order. As we prepare for the 2020/21 school year, we ask that Ocean View School District families make a choice between two options for instruction for the 2020/21 school year: 1) Daily In-Person Model (*with mandated Distance Learning if needed per Governor Newsom’s Orders) or 2) Ocean View Virtual Academy - 100% virtual learning with support from an OVSD credentialed teacher. Parents/guardians will need to choose the option most appropriate for their child and family. Please find a summary of the two learning models here.
On August 7, parents/guardians will be emailed an Educational Program Selection link and ALL parents MUST make a selection between the Daily In-Person Model (with mandated Distance Learning if needed per Governor’s Orders) or the Ocean View Virtual Academy for their child. It is imperative that parents respond to the link so that classes may be established and teachers assigned. Then, on August 18, the Aeries Portal will open and parents, based on their selection, will be automatically directed to the correct portal to complete the MANDATORY ANNUAL DOCUMENTATION. You must complete and submit this information to ensure your child’s enrollment in the desired program. Please note, if an education program is not selected, students will be enrolled in the In-Person model.
*Per Governor Newsom’s Order, school will start with mandated Distance Learning until Orange County is removed from the state’s COVID-19 Monitoring List for 14 days. When students are able to return to school, it will look different than it did before the COVID-19 pandemic, in order to comply with the Governor’s Orders and health expert recommendations. Read more here...
General Coronavirus Information
The novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, is a respiratory virus that was first identified in Wuhan City, China. It has since spread to other countries, including the United States. The complete clinical picture with regard to COVID-19 is not fully understood. Reported illnesses have ranged from mild to severe, including illness resulting in death. Older people and people with certain underlying health conditions like heart disease, lung disease and diabetes, for example, seem to be at greater risk of serious illness.
- There is now community transmission in Orange County, indicating that COVID-19 is spreading in the community.
- People should stay home to avoid exposure to COVID-19
How can I help protect myself?
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. However, the CDC recommends these proven steps to help stop the spread of respiratory illnesses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Use a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing. Throw used tissues in the trash immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer English
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer Spanish
- FREE COVID19 Testing Flyer Vietnamese
- Orange County Department of Education (OCDE) Newsroom
- Orange County Health Care Agency
- FAQ about Coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus
- California Department of Public Health
- Visit Your Pediatrician!
- Ocean View School District Community Resources
- Create a Family Plan
- Alternate Caregiver Form for Child
- Medical Consent Form for Child